Monday 12 May 2014

The End of the Affair by Graham Greene


I did not know what to expect for my first Graham Greene novel. Yes I chose an unconventional one to begin. A novel about a love affair that ended badly is not the author's usual fair. But I guess it was the girl in me that wished to read a romance, though a tragic one, more than a spy novel.                                                                                                                                                                                                For a long while I was unsure about this book. It was not the writing that confused me, but the story itself. It is a odd story of a man who connects with his lover's husband during a tragic time. It is an odd story where you are unsure if you should feel sorry for the characters or hate them. The character, at least for me, had little to no redeeming qualities. They were not likable in any way for me.  As most readers I'm sure can sympathize it is hard to read a book that does not contain at least one character that you can relate to or at the very least like.


The novel's simple yet interesting story does grab you in an unexpected way. The underlining sadness and pathetic nature of the characters stay with you long after the last page is read. This is not a story I can find myself relating to, but I found it haunting to read of an other's predicament. It is an interesting tale that is subtle and simple in its writing style. I would not be surprised to find myself reading it again in ten years or so. I also look forward to reading more from Graham Greene.


No comments:

Post a Comment